mindhive home

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Warrants knew about the banking licences..
Rating 5 V

SIBUK
post Jan 26 2007, 01:57 AM
Post #1

Mediocre
Group Icon

Group: Drone
Member No.: 43

Firstly, a history lesson for anyone who wasnt around a year ago, or who may have forgotten the past....

It is fairly common knowledge that NEVERDIE is MindArk's US spokeman and that MindArk had told him in advance all about the sale of the Asteroid Space Resort before they announced it to the rest of us so that NEVERDIE could deposit in advance and was guaranteed to buy it before anyone else. You have heard the stories, you have seen the proof. For anyone who hasnt seen the proof, ***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed clubneverdie.com registration*** the domain name for CND was registered over a week before MA announced the Space Resort. The idea of CND was created, the website was set up, the money was transfered, and the deed was given to neverdie while MindArk let other prospective buyers lose thousands of dollars in currency conversion fees after they deposited for something which they never would have had a chance of buying. You can belive that, or you can belive the BS story that miraculously, even though Hurricane Wilma was raging and had taken out all the power, and the entire city where neverdie lives had been evacuated, he was still able to hear all about the Space Resort, get the money, go to the bank, transfer the money to MA, and log on and buy the deed, and, 'because he had a feeling that MA would announce something', have the website bought and all set up 'just in case they did' and have it all planned out and the completed website URL posted moments after buying the deed. Then, by total coincidence, seconds after the deed is sold to neverdie, all the servers go down then when they come back up everyone who deposited to buy the space resort suddenly had their peds on their card. A likely story if I ever heard one.

Now, you all know that 711 who bought EF announced that he is Neomaven from Warrants. I hope I am not going too far here, I say this only because he has openly discussed this and it is relevant to this post, but he owns a company called Active Ideas who are in the business of buying domain names then selling them for markup to people who need them.

Which brings me to my point. How in the hell has Active Ideas registered all the domain names for all entropia banking related websites 5 days before MA even accounced it???

Look for yourself, here are but a few:

***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed entropiabank.com, entropiabanking.com and entropiabanks.com being registered by Active Ideas on January 4, 2007.***

And its not just that, Eps is pretty pissed off cos Active Ideas have cybersquated and ***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed portatlantismall.com registration to Active Ideas*** so he cant do a website. So I ask you, how the hell does warrants always know a week in advance about 'the next big thing from MA' when MA has never even announced it?

This post has been edited by Trooper Gen 03: Jan 26 2007, 02:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Knuckles
post Jan 26 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #2

Initiated
Group Icon

Group: Worker
Member No.: 285

The thread deletion within 1minute and him joining IRC claiming its all lies turned me on

+Quote Post
King Buzzo
post Jan 26 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Capable
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 10

This will not end well...

:hang3:

+Quote Post
Trooper Gen 03
post Jan 26 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #4

Weak
Group Icon

Member No.: 294

Just a precationary tip for anyone interested in this discussion. Please keep the debate logical and civil. Your grievances will be heard must more clearly through all of the noise.

+Quote Post
Knuckles
post Jan 26 2007, 02:16 AM
Post #5

Initiated
Group Icon

I just wanna welcome SIBUK to the permaban club on EF (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/secret.gif)

+Quote Post
Svetlana
post Jan 26 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Good
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (Sibuk)
Now, you all know that 711 who bought EF announced that he is Neomaven from Warrants. I hope I am not going too far here, I say this only because he has openly discussed this and it is relevant to this post, but he owns a company called Active Ideas who are in the business of buying domain names then selling them for markup to people who need them.

Which brings me to my point. How in the hell has Active Ideas registered all the domain names for all entropia banking related websites 5 days before MA even accounced it???

Wow. Nice investigative journalism there. Btw, I thoroughly agree with the mod bot that this discussion must be kept civil. That said, we here appreciate the fact that we can discuss things that might not be allowed on other sites. With that frame of mind, I certainly think this deserves some attention Sibuk.

The three sites listed are entropiabanks.com, entropiabanking.com and entropiabank.com.... what were the exact dates of their registration and where did you find this info? 711 could always say that anyone might have been smart enough to capitalize on such registered sites b/c MA has spoken about a possible banking system for a while now.... certainly, however, it does not look good that these sites were all registered just 5 days prior to MA devulging the pending sales if that is the case. Nonetheless, that's just speculation.

What I don't GET- w/ the old Neverdie CND sale and now this is why MA EVEN THINKS they can get this past us? What really are they thinking? I'll tell you what they're thinking: they're thinking that not many ppl will get a hold of this information b/c it won't be allowed to be discussed on EF- that's exactly what they're thinking. Well well MA- this is one more awful notch to add to a list of them. Each day more and more good ppl leave the game thanks to speculation that is based upon some solid evidence- we can only turn our head once too many times.

End of the day- nope, this just isn't right. One more reason for all of the skepticism that abounds within EU and another reason to thoroughly believe that an oligarchy exists.

This post has been edited by Svetlana: Jan 26 2007, 02:29 AM

--------------------
"The future is here, it's just not widely distributed yet." - William Gibson

+Quote Post
Darkscorp
post Jan 26 2007, 02:33 AM
Post #7

Competent
Group Icon

Member No.: 80

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 25 2007, 09:16 PM) *
I just wanna welcome SIBUK to the permaban club on EF (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/secret.gif)

Me too!

OMG....talk about oligarchies..I was under the assumption that maybe it wasn't so far spread.

Dammmmmmm

Azi needs to interject here at some point. Info,and the spreading of it has its own "Power" so to speak.

Somethings gotta be done. It has to stop.

+Quote Post
Knuckles
post Jan 26 2007, 02:33 AM
Post #8

Initiated
Group Icon

Registration dates ***EDIT-Please don't link personal info. Showed a registration date of January 4, 2007***

Date of Mindarks bank press release can be found here!

Press release was 5 days after the regging of domains,very similar to CND (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

I would love a Marco comment, I love Marco and he is a inspiration to me :black eye:

This post has been edited by Knuckles: Jan 26 2007, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
SIBUK
post Jan 26 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #9

Mediocre
Group Icon

Member No.: 43

Just to clear something up, the links were removed because unknown to myself, as well as containing company info they also contain personaly info including name and telephone number further down the page. But, you can take it from the repies of the people who first saw the post that the domains were indeed registered 5 days before MA announced it.

+Quote Post
Knuckles
post Jan 26 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #10

Initiated
Group Icon

QUOTE (SIBUK @ Jan 26 2007, 03:52 AM) *
Just to clear something up, the links were removed because unknown to myself, as well as containing company info they also contain personaly info including name and telephone number further down the page. But, you can take it from the repies of the people who first saw the post that the domains were indeed registered 5 days before MA announced it.

I vouch for that info,for whatever my word is worth (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/assassin.gif)

+Quote Post
neomaven
post Jan 26 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #11

Poor
Group Icon

Group: Larve
Member No.: 422

QUOTE (SIBUK @ Jan 25 2007, 08:57 PM) *
Firstly, a history lesson for anyone who wasnt around a year ago, or who may have forgotten the past....

It is fairly common knowledge that NEVERDIE is MindArk's US spokeman and that MindArk had told him in advance all about the sale of the Asteroid Space Resort before they announced it to the rest of us so that NEVERDIE could deposit in advance and was guaranteed to buy it before anyone else. You have heard the stories, you have seen the proof. For anyone who hasnt seen the proof, ***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed clubneverdie.com registration*** the domain name for CND was registered over a week before MA announced the Space Resort. The idea of CND was created, the website was set up, the money was transfered, and the deed was given to neverdie while MindArk let other prospective buyers lose thousands of dollars in currency conversion fees after they deposited for something which they never would have had a chance of buying. You can belive that, or you can belive the BS story that miraculously, even though Hurricane Wilma was raging and had taken out all the power, and the entire city where neverdie lives had been evacuated, he was still able to hear all about the Space Resort, get the money, go to the bank, transfer the money to MA, and log on and buy the deed, and, 'because he had a feeling that MA would announce something', have the website bought and all set up 'just in case they did' and have it all planned out and the completed website URL posted moments after buying the deed. Then, by total coincidence, seconds after the deed is sold to neverdie, all the servers go down then when they come back up everyone who deposited to buy the space resort suddenly had their peds on their card. A likely story if I ever heard one.

Since I did not join EU until April of 2006 (many months after the CND auction) I have few comments on the discussion related to the auction of CND. I do know that it has been discussed in detail on EntropiaForum, and Neverdie has responded to these conspiracies many times there and other places. It seems some people enjoy dragging others through the mud, even when there is no fair reason to do so. If you believe there is some type of impropriety that took place with the CND auction, you should contact Mindark. Posting commentary like this, which implies that Mindark performed some kind of "backroom deal" with Neverdie, could easily be construed as badmouthing Mindark in a public medium, a very serious violation of the EULA:

QUOTE (Entropia EULA @ Jul 3 2006, 08:51 AM)
n. You cannot spread any rumors about MindArk, the Entropia Universe, and MindArk Staff or Partners, that can be considered potentially damaging, using the Entropia Universe, IRC or any other public forums in any media now known or not currently known, including but not limited to a web space.

I have no idea how you make the assumtion that my company is "in the business of buying domain names then selling them for markup to people who need them".

My company very rarely sells domain names. 99% of domains are registered for the purpose of driving internet traffic to our partners, such as Google and other advertisers.

Very infrequently, my company has sold a portion of its domain portfolio to other large domain aggregators (not end users) to raise capital (to invest in EntropiaUniverse, for example). Also, it is my company's policy to surrender (free of charge) any inadvertent domain registration that infringes on any trademark. We also make it a policy to return any formerly-registered domains to prior owners at our cost of registration when requested. Such sales represent a VERY small portion of the total portfolio (less than 1%), so your claim about the business practices of my company are completely unfair and untrue. Please show a single shred of proof otherwise that supports your claim, or I expect a retraction and apology.

Look for yourself, here are but a few:

***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed entropiabank.com, entropiabanking.com and entropiabanks.com being registered by Active Ideas on January 4, 2007.***

As for the registration of the domains, I in fact registered all kinds of entropia related domains on that day, and the several days before and after. Mindark had announced the release of another "big thing" and this got me to thinking ahead on what it might be. Thus I registered quite a few domains trying to guess what future developments might come to EntropiaUniverse, such as:

ENTROPIATOURS.COM
ENTROPIASHIPPING.COM
ENTROPIACONSTRUCTION.COM
ENTROPIAMUSIC.COM
ENTROPIAINVESTMENT.COM
ENTROPIAJOBS.COM
ENTROPIAMONEY.COM
ENTROPIAMOTORS.COM
ENTROPIATRANSPORTATION.COM
ENTROPIAINDUSTRY.COM
ENTROPIASOCIETY.COM
ENTROPIABOUTIQUE.COM
ENTROPIAFACTORY.COM
ENTROPIATAMING.COM
ENTROPIAPETS.COM

and many others. If you check the registration date on those domains, you will see they are all the same as the banking-related domains Sibuk shows as "proof" that I had inside information. LOL

On a side note:

ENTROPIALOANS.COM - Registered only a few weeks after I started playing EU, back in May 2006. Right from the beginning, I saw the potential of an in-game loan system, athough I was thinking more along the lines of the avatar-managed ones like Teilk's Loan Service. I got busy with other pursuits, and have not yet had the time to develop this one. According to your way of thinking, I guess this proves I knew about the release of banks in EU back in May of 2006??

Many of these ideas will probably never be implemented in EU, the domains will never be developed, and I will have wasted $7 for each domain registered. But having been involved in the domain industry for 8 years now, I have learned a valuable lesson: It is better to have a domain and not need it than need one and not have it. As an example, entropiaforum.com is the PERFECT domain name for a fan forum for EntropiaUniverse. Had not Mindbuster registered the domain when he did, and allowed another to grab it, the site would probably not be as popular as it is today.

I enjoy developing new tools and features for the EU community, and have registered these domains with an eye toward doing precisely that.

As an example, I have recently developed www.EntropiaShopping.com as a directory of shops, with user-editable pages for shopowners. Currently it features the shops in Twin Peaks Mall, but I plan to eventually make it available to all shopowners in EU.

Back to Sibuk's conspiracy theories:

If I had some kind of "inside info" wouldn't I have registered the mall-related domains, such as entropiashopping.com BEFORE the auctions were announced? In fact, all of the shopping and mall related domains were resgistered well after the auctions were announced.

I realized that I was a bit lax in securing those domains, and decided to be more proactive in the future. When I read Mindark's public announcement of another big auction coming in January, I was prompted to register the domains above, along with dozens of others completely unrelated to banking or finance.

And its not just that, Eps is pretty pissed off cos Active Ideas have cybersquated and ***EDIT-Removed link as it shows personal information such as address an phone number. The links showed portatlantismall.com registration to Active Ideas*** so he cant do a website. So I ask you, how the hell does warrants always know a week in advance about 'the next big thing from MA' when MA has never even announced it?

In regard to portatlantismall.com, I registered this and similar domains, because there was a very real chance that I might purchase one of the malls (which of course I in fact did, but unfortunately TwinPeaksMall.com was unavailable). I had no intention of trying to resell the domain to whoever bought a mall or anything similar. In fact, I am suprised that "Eps is pretty pissed off cos Active Ideas have cybersquated [on "his domain] so he cant do a website". If Eps had simply contacted me about the domain (which he has never done), I would agree to transfer it to him at the registration price, since the domain is now worthless to me. In fact, I would be thrilled to recover the registration fee (only $7, but every bit helps). RobRoy did just this a few days ago in fact, and I am in the process of transferring the domain emeraldlakesmall.com to him for the price I paid, $7.

Common characteristics of conspiracy theories are that they only reveal information that fits nicely with the conspiracy. They take things out of context, obscure some facts that don't fit (I registered all sorts of domains on the day in question, not only banking-related domains) and twist others to make them fit (yes my company owns a large domain portfolio, but for the purpose of generating internet traffic, not for selling domain names).

They also make healthy use of poor logic, unfair premises and assumptions, and appeal to the biases and weaknesses of listeners. This post of Sibuk's displays many of these qualities, and in order to avoid lending further credibility to such delusions, this will be my last post in this thread.

This post has been edited by neomaven: Jan 26 2007, 04:43 AM

+Quote Post
Einstein
post Jan 26 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #12

Beginner
Group Icon

Member No.: 23

My only problem is that things like this will backfire on MA once EU becomes popular or a hype.

The last thing MA needs is conspiracy theories like CND and now the Banks, even if they are not true, once in the press they can damage EU heavily.

I don't think you can blame people for going crazy when they see domain names getting registered by normal players 5 days before the announcement?

What suprises me the most is the conspiracy reflex many people(including myself) have as soon as they hear some disturbing info. And I wonder how it came that far?

Perhaps it's because of MA refusing to comment too often? Refusing to clear up things, or doing it too late?

This post has been edited by Einstein: Jan 26 2007, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
Svetlana
post Jan 26 2007, 04:19 AM
Post #13

Good
Group Icon

Exactly as I expected the reply- well done neo. Indeed, the fact remains that there are too many things that could potentially be behind this, and you argue as I would have anticpated: adroitly and categorically. No one person will ever know for certain this, that or the other thing. Yet that will not cease public speculation. This is just bad for business, yet each year there seems to be more fuel added to the already large flame. But, to be most sure, any censoring of discussions merely serves as a catalyst to further propel the issues to the forefront and make more people very skeptical.

QUOTE (Einstein)
I don't think you can blame people for going crazy when they see domain names getting registered by normal players 5 days before the announcement?
What suprises me the most is the conspiracy reflex many people(including myself) have as soon as they hear some disturbing info. And I wonder how it came that far?
Perhaps it's because of MA refusing to comment too often? Refusing to clear up things, or doing it too late?

I agree that there can be no blame. It would be completely remiss for people not to pick up on the domain registrations. The conspiracy reflex Ein is very true- personally I don't think it's any secret that MA shares information with certain people at certain times. And personally, I don't blame them for doing so always. What I do wonder is how they believe it will escape the eyes and ears of the community. And due to a lack of direct information from MA on their own website (and lack of their own forum), the community must hope that any such pertinent information is shared and discussed and analyzed elsewhere. My gutt feeling is that MA might expect such secrets to be kept and not made public (via censoring, etc), and that never sits well in most peoples' stomachs. That is the real heart and soul of this matter, imho.

--------------------

+Quote Post
neomaven
post Jan 26 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #14

Poor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Svetlana @ Jan 25 2007, 11:19 PM) *
Exactly as I expected the reply- well done neo. Indeed, the fact remains that there are too many things that could potentially be behind this, and you argue as I would have anticpated: adroitly and categorically. No one person will ever know for certain this, that or the other thing. Yet that will not cease public speculation. This is just bad for business, yet each year there seems to be more fuel added to the already large flame. But, to be most sure, any censoring of discussions merely serves as a catalyst to further propel the issues to the forefront and make more people very skeptical.
I agree that there can be no blame. It would be completely remiss for people not to pick up on the domain registrations. The conspiracy reflex Ein is very true- personally I don't think it's any secret that MA shares information with certain people at certain times. And personally, I don't blame them for doing so always. What I do wonder is how they believe it will escape the eyes and ears of the community. And due to a lack of direct information from MA on their own website (and lack of their own forum), the community must hope that any such pertinent information is shared and discussed and analyzed elsewhere. My gutt feeling is that MA might expect such secrets to be kept and not made public (via censoring, etc), and that never sits well in most peoples' stomachs. That is the real heart and soul of this matter, imho.

So should I not pursue anything for fear that it *might* be interpreted as a conspriacy?? I will not curtail my support of the EU community or my entrepreneurial endeavors simply because some malcontents are jealous, envious, bored or in denial. I cannot control what they say one way or the other. I can only do what I think is right, and hopefully my contrbutions will make EU more enjoyable for some. So far the overwhelming feedback on the enhancements I have made to EntropiaForum reflect a strong support and appreciation for my efforts, as well as the management of my Land Areas, Events and the Twin Peaks Mall.

I registered dozens upon dozens of domains following MA's announcement of a "next big thing". Most (probably 90% if them) had absolutely NOTHING to do with banking. But of course, if one ONLY looks at the date of registration of the banking-related domains and compares it to the date of the announcement of the banks, it looks fishy. This is what conspiracy theorists do: they shine floodlights on anything that supports the conspiracy, and sweep under the rug anything that disproves it.

I have no idea why some members of the EU community always want to believe the worst, and are quick to assume that someone is out to take advantage of them. Perhaps as you say, some of it is related to the manner in which Mindark has communicated with the community in the past. I can say, however, that I have been quite impressed with MA's efforts to improve communication with the community over the last 6 months or so.

As for me having any kind of "inside info" about future content releases by Mindark, I can assure you that this is NOT happening, nor am I aware of anyone else receiving such info. In fact, I cannot even get my support cases answered in a timely fashion, despite being the biggest depositor in EU. So please show me the "favoritism". I'd be happy to start with normally accepted levels of customer support first, lol.

This post has been edited by neomaven: Jan 26 2007, 05:02 AM

+Quote Post
King Buzzo
post Jan 26 2007, 05:12 AM
Post #15

Capable
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (neomaven @ Jan 25 2007, 08:37 PM) *
In fact, I cannot even get my support cases answered in a timely fashion, despite being the biggest depositor in EU.[/color]

How does it look from up there neo? Seriously, come off your highhorse for one minute please. You cannot own everything nor should you want to try to control everything.

@ everyone: The NEVERDIE thing was hashed out a long time ago and brining it up again is silly. It has all been explained and explained again. It is over and done with and noone can argue that he has done great things to further Entropia Universe.

Even this issue at hand is not a big deal in my opinion. Buying up domain names for someone in neo's position seems all natural. I would question whether or not corning the market on entropia domains is truely "good" for the rest of the community. But, that is niether here nor there. He has the means and wants to do it, so be it.

The bottom line for me is not about buying bank domains or pre arranged deals. I am not going to invest that kind of money in any video game anytime soon. The only issue for me is how the power players conduct themselves. I would hope for more restraint and more calculation about what may be perceived by the community.

We all have to be wary of how the EU communituy has been reared. We have tried tirelessly here to create a new way of thinking. A new kind of openess.

This thread is a prime example. We are allowed to discuss and peoples views are made clear. No hiding. No deleting (mostly). Open communication.

As a community we should strive for these things. We cannot change things for the better if we can't stand together.

This post has been edited by King Buzzo: Jan 26 2007, 05:19 AM

+Quote Post
neomaven
post Jan 26 2007, 06:12 AM
Post #16

Poor
Group Icon

[quote name='King Buzzo' post='16817' date='Jan 26 2007, 12:12 AM']How does it look from up there neo? Seriously, come off your highhorse for one minute please. You cannot own everything nor should you want to try to control everything.[/quote]

The point of my comment here is to show that the 'big time players' or large depositors do not get 'special treatment' from MA, as suggested in this thread and the Oligarchy thread. I was not trying to get on any high horse; I was merely trying to provide a sharp contrast between the common misconception that some players (namely those who deposit a lot or are members of some 'favored society') receive special treatment, that's all. I tried to lighten the mood a bit with my closing comment relating to support cases, which I am sure many players can relate to. Nevertheless, you seem quite eager to attack me here on your forum at first chance, so this will be my last post.

Second of all, I am not trying to "buy everything" as you state. I recognize the importance of doing things in moderation, and allowing others to try their hand at making large-scale investements in Entropia. In fact, I am convinced that it is actually in my best financial interest as well, since it creates a more stable in-game economy, and spreads risk among many rather than few.

I could have easily bought all three malls, or all 13 Land Areas that were released last time around (in the arctic and jungle areas). I chose not to, for the greater good of the community, as well as to allow myself to give the necessary attention to EntropiaForum and my existing holdings. I think it's much more exciting for everyone in EU if we see diverse ownership of such items. Competition drives progress, and results in a happier experience for all players.

[quote name='King Buzzo' post='16817' date='Jan 26 2007, 12:12 AM']@ everyone: The NEVERDIE thing was hashed out a long time ago and brining it up again is silly. It has all been explained and explained again. It is over and done with and noone can argue that he has done great things to further Entropia Universe.

Even this issue at hand is not a big deal in my opinion. Buying up domain names for someone in neo's position seems all natural. I would question whether or not corning the market on entropia domains is truely "good" for the rest of the community. But, that is niether here nor there. He has the means and wants to do it, so be it.
[quote]

This isn't communism, not in EU and not in most of the countries where players live. The free market reigns, and is in the best interest of us all. If you are so concerned about the "good of the community" why did you not "corner the market" on those domain names yourself and hand them out to those you deemed worthy of developing them? I would argue that I am well equipped to develop many of those domains, given my background and experience in web development, as well as my activities in EntropiaUniverse. Of course there are many other members of the EU community who are equally or more capable; there are thousands of available domains in many extensions that fit development purposes of EU-related websites very well.

Again, I did NOT register these domains to resell them. I fully intend to develop any or all of those that correspond to actual additions to EntropiaUniverse. So in that sense I am not "cornering" any market, I am simply planning ahead, as any good entrpreneur does.

[quote name='King Buzzo' post='16817' date='Jan 26 2007, 12:12 AM']
The bottom line for me is not about buying bank domains or pre arranged deals. I am not going to invest that kind of money in any video game anytime soon. The only issue for me is how the power players conduct themselves. I would hope for more restraint and more calculation about what may be perceived by the community.[/quote]

This is where we differ. I see EntropiaUniverse as much more than just a video game. If all you wish to take from EU is the gameplay aspect, I can appreciate and respect that. But you should not begrudge those of us who make the most of the opportunities provided in EU to create something more substantial. In my opinion, that is the genuis of Mindark's creation: EU is able to offer a wide array of activities for both the traditional gamer, as well as those seeking entrepreneurial challenges and investment opportunities. That is why I am such a strong believer in EU, and a diehard fan: EU appeals to both my hardcore gamer personality, as well as my entrepreneurial spirit.

This post has been edited by neomaven: Jan 26 2007, 06:14 AM

+Quote Post
Svetlana
post Jan 26 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #17

Good
Group Icon

QUOTE (KingBuzzo)

QUOTE (neomaven)
This isn't communism, not in EU and not in most of the countries where players live. The free market reigns, and is in the best interest of us all. If you are so concerned about the "good of the community" why did you not "corner the market" on those domain names yourself and hand them out to those you deemed worthy of developing them? I would argue that I am well equipped to develop many of those domains, given my background and experience in web development, as well as my activities in EntropiaUniverse. Of course there are many other members of the EU community who are equally or more capable; there are thousands of available domains in many extensions that fit development purposes of EU-related websites very well.

neo I think you and Buzzo agree on this one ;) Perhaps you misread him. Buzzo is saying that you had the means and where-with-all to register the domains, and you did. There's nothing to debate. He's not arguing for anything to be different. The one question he poses above is whether or not this serves the good of Entropia Universe (and that is not a concern of yours so much as a concern of MA's). Btw- I happened to enjoy your comment about support (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/secret.gif)

QUOTE (neomaven)
Again, I did NOT register these domains to resell them. I fully intend to develop any or all of those that correspond to actual additions to EntropiaUniverse. So in that sense I am not "cornering" any market, I am simply planning ahead, as any good entrpreneur does.

And it does not matter if you did buy them to resell (which you and I agree on). Again, anyone might have done what you did. Now that you have bought up a variety of them, your only concern is a business decision to sell those you do not have a need for or keep them. And that is none of my business.

QUOTE (neomaven)
Second of all, I am not trying to "buy everything" as you state. I recognize the importance of doing things in moderation, and allowing others to try their hand at making large-scale investements in Entropia. In fact, I am convinced that it is actually in my best financial interest as well, since it creates a more stable in-game economy, and spreads risk among many rather than few.

This is good that you realize this. To be honest, many real life corporations fail to recognize this, so it's become natural for people to be more skeptical when a 'big fish' eats up all of the other fish- or plankton- or what have you (IMG:http://virtualmindhive.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Neo, there are many among us who recognized years ago that 'Project Entropia' was distinctly different from any other mmorpg. It offered the perfect opportunity to sew the gap between the real and the virtual. In this way, we do not differ. None of us would do what we've been doing: advocating EU, sharing our experiences and exploring new opportunities within the Universe if we did not all possess a keen sense of the profound impact it has on mmo's and on modern technology in more general terms (as we apply technology to our everyday lives). In this spirit we are all an integral part of the greater good.
Now, I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse neo. When all is said and done, from my own perspective, I don't blame you for a second for being a keen businessman. To the contrary, and unbeknownst to you perhaps, I have said that you have time and again played your cards properly. Furthermore, I wish you luck with those cards- they are powerful ones neo as I know you realize. As such, my one *hope* (and it can only be a hope, as you are free to do as you wish with your own time, money and plans) is that you use them fairly. Having the freedom to discuss things that might be pertinent is so integral to the values of this community neo.

To be sure, I don't place any blame on you as an individual, and I hope others do not as well. Any concerns have more to do with MA's plans imho, to which we aren't always priivy of course. All we can do is speculate and then wait and see.

To that, I should catch some shut-eye atm. I will say thank you for joining in on this discussion- multiple viewpoints is always superior to one. Whether or not you post here again, I personally would like to encourage you to do so. It sounds like you've followed the Oligarchy thread, and no doubt you have strong ideas about it- there's no need to be shy about them neo. You are more than welcome to voice your own opinions and concerns. My particular voice is trapped inside of a woman who has held Calypso very near and dear to heart for nearly 4 yrs now. Yours is business-minded. Both represent very real segments of the EU population, but it does us little good if we cannot discuss our differences and compare our similarities.

Cheers- sry for the rambling everyone. I have a tendency to write... a lot :tomato:

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheLoneRanger
post Jan 26 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #18

Green
Group Icon

Member No.: 443

As has been said before, no two pair of eyes look at things in exactly the same manner ( as Sveta also expresses ). We all have our own view on the world ( RL and EU ) and that's how we experience things. In much the same manner, truth is also relative.

We all have different motivations to do the things we do. One player will play EU purely for entertainment, the other will play EU to achieve a goal ( monetairy or otherwise ). We walk the path we need to, to get where we want to get.

In that perspective I must compliment everyone here. Although this is a highly volatile subject, everyone deals with it in a very rational, civilised manner, so discussion is possible. My compliments

I've read both sides, and as usual the absolute truth will be found somewhere in the middle. However, I firmly believe that where there's smoke, there's bound to be fire. There are some weird coincedences in certain things. I don't believe it has to do with the oligarchy issue.

To me, it sounds like MA gave some head-ups, not the players influencing MA. I strongly believe that everyhting is initiated from MA, and they're doing a very clever job of getting publicity and getting huge amounts of money into EU ( and thus into their company ). Let's not forget that MA isn't doing this for free, their business goal ( like all other profit businesses ) is money...

Again, thanks to the people involved for being so open and discussing this with us !

This post has been edited by TheLoneRanger: Jan 26 2007, 09:33 AM

+Quote Post
Aziphirael
post Jan 26 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #19

Qualified
Group Icon

Member No.: 33

Haven't had time to read all the threads but will put together a detailed response to the interesting discussion when I'm back home.

I've perhaps mentioned this before. But I might as well say it because it perhaps moulds my own experiences. In terms of people knowing things... My own experience is one where I knew CND and the contents of the next VU at that time, about three or four weeks before it was publically annouced. That was because of my involvement in the magazine. Over the course of the next few months learnt a few other things, obviously to ensure we had timely material for the magazine.

It was an interesting excercise in restraint as I could have spent that three weeks building up the cash pile to buy it. Then again it would have been a bit odder if the buyout was acheived right on the day it was launched ;-)

As a cynic I am reminded of one of the first rules of British politics "Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied." And thats something MA needs to do I feel, it may not mean much, but sometimes the action itself is more important.

There are a lot of coincidences. And I don't think that the "Oligarchs" have helped themselves. For example 711 keeping his identity secret was I think in retrospect a bad thing to do as it just puts more fuel on the fire. Like it or not, the Oligarchs do have a responsibility with the power they have in the community (whether they do have influence with MA or not...)

+Quote Post
Eps
post Jan 26 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #20

Inept
Group Icon

Member No.: 39

I find this discussion all very interesting.

Firstly, about "conspiracy theories". People come to conclusions based on the different information presented to them. This conclusion may or may not be correct, what should follow is debate and discussion, inclusion of new or more accurate information, and then they may have a better, more informed opinion.

Thankyou, I would like the domain. I will contact you shortly to make arrangements for transfer.

The thing that got me was not actually the PA Mall domain. It was that I had been out for coffee with some friends that day and had come up with some ideas. I came back and took a look at the domains I wished to purchase so I could get this idea off the ground. To my horror all the main domain combinations I wanted had your damn "what you need, when you need it" page on telling me about "Credit Card Applications" and "Jewish Singles". So now, I will be forced to get a different domain, and hope that many people do not visit the naturally instinctive address. So this began to make me think; What if another of the many Entropia Universe participants would like to develop an idea? Should they be forced to choose an alternate address because the domains are being hoarded by ActiveIdeas.com? I fear that they will have to. I am not here to debate whether this is illegal or not, my thoughts are on what is best for Entropia Universe.

So, I began to look. I came accross reports from WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) where ActiveIdeas.com had been accused of CyberSquatting and had been ordered to transfer domains to their rightful owners. I learned that generally Entropia Universe participants would not have a leg to stand on since you would have to have the name as a registered trade mark to be able to file a claim. Since we don't actually own anything in EU it may prove difficult. I shared my findings with other users in IRC, many feel the same. My questions are: Is this Morally correct? And does this benefit or harm Entropia Universe?

In my opinion, CyberSquatting and Domain hoarding are immoral and at the moment, is not a benefit for Entropia Universe or it's participants. That said, I am a Pilot and people may dislike me or my occupation because they believe that Aircraft are major polluters and are causing Global Warming. As the expression goes; "It's horses for courses".

Eps

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2018 - 06:04 PM