Problems in Entropia?
P-J
post Aug 25 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Beginner
Group Icon

Group: Worker
Member No.: 195

I have been away for a longish while - out of intenet contact somewhere hotter and drier than the UK (ie anywhere else atm) - and came back to the forum a few days ago. Browsing Entropia Forum I came across this thread:

http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/showth...9558&page=7

Reading the thread there seems to have been all sorts of unpleasant things happening over the last month hints of -pedophilia, money laundering, a negative article in the “Sun Newspaper’ (a UK tabloid of dubious quality with a massive readership) and an article in the ‘Guardian’ (a respectable UK broadsheet)..

The thread seems to be between the forum mod and members of the forum arguing about the censorship of these items – without ever stating what happened. There also seems to be frequent negative comments about ‘the other forum’- do they mean us?

I don’t know what the heck to think or believe! What has happened? Could someone enlighten me? Have things happened over the last six weeks or so which have damaged the reputation of MA? Is this just another storm in a teacup or something more serious?

All PM’s or posts gratefully accepted!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andyzammy
post Aug 26 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Mediocre
Group Icon

Group: Drone
Member No.: 575

by the other forum, they mean entropiareality.com. that place has the story: a whole thread dedicated to it. i'm sure you'll find all you want to know in there. sorry for not posting the complete link but i don't know if i'm allowed or not.

+Quote Post
ZarathustrA
post Aug 26 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #3

Unskilled
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

I'll explain it in as few words as I can...

Slayum is a pedophile, this isn't hearsay, it's true. Pictures of Slayum meeting with Skalman and other players have been posted and it's clear that he's the same person from this article http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370356,00.html
There's more to it than that going on behind the scenes and it's been known for longer than most people know but that's all that really needs to be said here.

Anytime people try to warn of this pedophile on the forums it gets censored, I believe it's because Warants people are embarrassed about the whole thing but even if they are it doesn't mean they should hide the fact that there's a pedophile who uses his riches to lure victims to him ingame.

There's also more censorship and garbage going on too, but all that drama doesn't need to come here. Read the IRC censorship post to get more of the story too.

+Quote Post
Administrator
post Aug 26 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (andyzammy @ Aug 25 2007, 05:07 PM) *
sorry for not posting the complete link but i don't know if i'm allowed or not.

No problem. You can post any link you like as long as it is not offensive.

QUOTE (ZarathustrA @ Aug 25 2007, 05:19 PM) *
There's also more censorship and garbage going on too, but all that drama doesn't need to come here.

I agree 100%.

:lalalalala:

+Quote Post
RexDameon
post Aug 26 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #5

Competent
Group Icon

Member No.: 24

Interesting ok everyone i will now be an 8 year old boy can someone introduce me to this guy so i can take some of his money?

j/k

+Quote Post
P-J
post Aug 26 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Beginner
Group Icon

Thanks for the replies :)

QUOTE (andyzammy @ Aug 26 2007, 01:07 AM) *
by the other forum, they mean entropiareality.com. that place has the story: a whole thread dedicated to it. i'm sure you'll find all you want to know in there. sorry for not posting the complete link but i don't know if i'm allowed or not.

Thanks for the link - it all becomes a little more clear now. I read ER and it seems like a PR disaster for MA. It seems to have started as an anarchic abusive forum full of racist, sexist and homophobic posts (the statement by one player that someone should be sent to a camp followed by the works 'Work makes you free' in German stuck me as particularly offensive). What I found interesting was that a number of people that I know via EF as more moderate, articulate and interesting have now joined and are posting to the forum. It now seems to the the protest form of choice against MA.

QUOTE (ZarathustrA @ Aug 26 2007, 01:19 AM) *
I'll explain it in as few words as I can...

Slayum is a pedophile, this isn't hearsay, it's true. Pictures of Slayum meeting with Skalman and other players have been posted and it's clear that he's the same person from this article [url="http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370356,00.html"]http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370356,00.html[/urL}
There's more to it than that going on behind the scenes and it's been known for longer than most people know but that's all that really needs to be said here.

Anytime people try to warn of this pedophile on the forums it gets censored, I believe it's because Warants people are embarrassed about the whole thing but even if they are it doesn't mean they should hide the fact that there's a pedophile who uses his riches to lure victims to him ingame.

There's also more censorship and garbage going on too, but all that drama doesn't need to come here. Read the IRC censorship post to get more of the story too.

So the current state of play is that EF is trying to cover up and censor this (perhaps for multiple reasons) and is losing players to the new forum 'Entropia Reality'. The worrying bit of your post was the statement "There's more to it than that going on behind the scenes and it's been known for longer than most people know". A peodphile playing the game isn't news - unpleasant and upsetting - but inevitable. The covering of it up and the fact that it there is more to come is, however, really news.

+Quote Post
cK Vap0r
post Aug 26 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #7

Unskilled
Group Icon

Member No.: 241

Its certainly a touchy situation but I don't think anyone can blame mindark. There does seem to be a lot of hush hush on EF and even though its perceived to be an official unofficial site, it can be run any way Neo sees fit. We don't have to agree with the decisions, its just the way it is. Reason #234824 that RCE is so much better :)

+Quote Post
Aziphirael
post Aug 26 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #8

Qualified
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 33

Well I'm in the same boat as you PJ, first I've heard of this little drama so hard to formulate a point of view. I think things are being censored on EF not to protect MA but to protect community members from embarassment. Still the comments from Marco about not participating in Second Life because of pedo's lurking is a bit ironic now given this little episode.

+Quote Post
Darkscorp
post Aug 26 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #9

Competent
Group Icon

Member No.: 80

QUOTE (Aziphirael @ Aug 26 2007, 09:52 AM) *
Still the comments from Marco about not participating in Second Life because of pedo's lurking is a bit ironic now given this little episode.

Hmmmmmm..........

I want to say something...but really can't atm. Maybe if I stare long enough at my chocolate dispenser it may drop a tidbit that will reawaken my long dead brain cells.

I must say though that its an interesting chain of events, and one that can't be swept under the carpet.

+Quote Post
Dino
post Aug 26 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #10

Experienced
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

QUOTE (P-J @ Aug 25 2007, 11:39 PM) *
A peodphile playing the game isn't news - unpleasant and upsetting - but inevitable. The covering of it up and the fact that it there is more to come is, however, really news.

As an American I can say that in our country we should have learned (although never seem to learn) that the cover up is almost always worse than the crim.

QUOTE (cK Vap0r @ Aug 26 2007, 06:38 AM) *
Reason #234824 that RCE is so much better :)

+1000

That and the soon to be reinstated chocolate dispenser

I can't comment on the pedophile. I'm not rational when it comes to that.

+Quote Post
RexDameon
post Aug 26 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Competent
Group Icon

Member No.: 24

Just a thought but a good reson for Neo to "hide" all of this is probably for legal reasons. Neo is not just a user made game forum he's got a lot more at stake then say Entropia Reality. As Epec has more at stake too. This guy is not slumming pedo he's a tycoon he has lots of money and can probably do some bad things to people like the guys he met in Warrants if they dont keep there mouth shut.

So i dont have a huge problem with EF not letting ppl talk about this one guy. If i was Neo though i'd come out with a statment that says something like:
"There has been instances of child luring through out the whole internet among many formats. It is of course possible in Entropia Universe so parents should be watching there children's behavior ALWAYs on any Interactive Internet applications (msn, chat rooms, mmo's ect.) "And expose some of the risks and dangers that younger ones need to be careful of like not meeting up with people they dont know even if they are like 16,18.... Heck no matter what age realy you never know who someone realy is over the internet and they could be just some guy looking for his next fun kill.

+Quote Post
Epictetus
post Aug 26 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #12

Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 432

"God money I'll do anything for you.
God money just tell me what you want me to."

--------------------
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

+Quote Post
Dino
post Aug 26 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #13

Experienced
Group Icon

Ok, I can't hold my tongue. Just castrate all child molesters. I know it won't solve all the problems but certainly would help.

+Quote Post
ZarathustrA
post Aug 26 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #14

Unskilled
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Dino @ Aug 26 2007, 01:16 PM) *
Ok, I can't hold my tongue. Just castrate all child molesters. I know it won't solve all the problems but certainly would help.

:thumbsup:

+Quote Post
P-J
post Aug 26 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Beginner
Group Icon

QUOTE (Dino @ Aug 26 2007, 09:16 PM) *

PJ passes Dino a large block of dark Swiss Chocolate :)

+Quote Post
Domochevsky
post Aug 26 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #16

Qualified
Group Icon

Member No.: 289

Would it help the Problem or you (to feel better) ;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
P-J
post Aug 26 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #17

Beginner
Group Icon

QUOTE (RexDameon @ Aug 26 2007, 08:06 PM) *
Just a thought but a good reson for Neo to "hide" all of this is probably for legal reasons. Neo is not just a user made game forum he's got a lot more at stake then say Entropia Reality. As Epec has more at stake too. This guy is not slumming pedo he's a tycoon he has lots of money and can probably do some bad things to people like the guys he met in Warrants if they dont keep there mouth shut.

So i dont have a huge problem with EF not letting ppl talk about this one guy. If i was Neo though i'd come out with a statment that says something like:
"There has been instances of child luring through out the whole internet among many formats. It is of course possible in Entropia Universe so parents should be watching there children's behavior ALWAYs on any Interactive Internet applications (msn, chat rooms, mmo's ect.) "And expose some of the risks and dangers that younger ones need to be careful of like not meeting up with people they dont know even if they are like 16,18.... Heck no matter what age realy you never know who someone realy is over the internet and they could be just some guy looking for his next fun kill.

Exactly - as it is it seems that a lot of truths mixed in with a number of half truths and downright lies seem to being stirred into the pot over in ER and it seems to me that its just matter of time before this a. gets into the mainstream press b. hurts the game and MA.

PJ passes Rex a Box of Truffles

+Quote Post
Dino
post Aug 27 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #18

Experienced
Group Icon

QUOTE (Domochevsky @ Aug 26 2007, 03:17 PM) *
Would it help the Problem or you (to feel better) ;)

Yes

+Quote Post
Darkscorp
post Aug 28 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #19

Competent
Group Icon

Member No.: 80

Hmmmm..........My brain have Cells finally resurrected...And whats left is waiting for a certain person to come in here attempting to whitewash the whole thing away.And I personally don't see that happening successfully in the near future. At this point in time all I can say is...Karma is one helluva nasty bitch. Pretend that it "won't happen to you" and you'll spend a looooong time searching for your nads.

This post has been edited by Darkscorp: Aug 28 2007, 01:05 AM

+Quote Post
Dino
post Aug 28 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #20

Experienced
Group Icon

I don't have any nads. Does that mean I pretended it wouldn't happen to me and just don't know it?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2018 - 06:03 PM